WHAT IS VENOUS INSUFFICIENCY?
WHAT IS VENOUS INSUFFICIENCY?
Venous insufficiency, also known as venous reflux, is a condition that develops when the veins in your legs become unhealthy or damaged. This causes blood to reflux or pool in your veins which leads to a number of uncomfortable symptoms such as leg pain, burning, itching, restless leg, leg cramps, varicose veins, leg swelling, heaviness and fatigue. When left untreated, venous reflux can lead to more significant clinical issues such as pain, chronic swelling, skin discoloration, thickening of the skin and ulceration. More than 30 million people in the U.S. are affected by this disease with only 1.9 million seeing treatment annually. This leaves the vast majority undiagnosed and untreated. Without treatment, those with the disease may experience progressive symptoms such as swollen legs, skin damage and/or ulcers that can be debilitating and significantly impact their quality of life.
The U.S. has one of the highest incidences of venous disease in the world. Because of the widespread nature of its symptoms, it is considered a significant public health issue.
Venous disorders symptoms may present as discomfort, fatigue, or heaviness in the leg. Patients may complain of chronic pain or lost sleep due to cramping or restless leg. Some may experience non-healing ulcers, cellulitis or phlebitis. Still others with the disease may be symptom free.
Historically, venous symptoms have often gone untreated due to discouraging outcomes and the lack of quality treatment options. Just decades ago, “vein stripping” to remove the vein causing the insufficiency was the gold standard of treatment. Today Laser Ablation, Radiofrequency Endovenous Ablation, ClariVein Occlusion and VenaSeal procedures have become the gold standard of care. Dr. Sassan Kaveh is one of the only physicians who is trained to perform three out of four procedures in Nevada. These innovative forms of treatment are performed locally right here in our Alpha Vein Clinic Las Vegas under local anesthesia, and they have a 98% long-term success rate. These treatments have transformed the way the medical community views diagnosis and treatment of venous disorders.
FACTS ABOUT VENOUS INSUFFICIENCY:
- Venous insufficiency affects many people. It is estimated that 80 million Americans have some form of venous disease.
- Venous insufficiency is one of the most common chronic conditions in North America and Western Europe.
- An estimated 25 million people suffer from their symptoms.
- U.S. estimate for varicose veins are 40% in females and 22% in males
- 72% of American women and 42% of men will experience varicose veins symptoms by the time they reach their sixties.
- Some people with Venous insufficiency present with no symptoms, only skin changes and/or bulging veins.
- Gender and age are two primary risk factors in the development of venous insufficiency.
- Individuals who have been pregnant more than once, have a family history, or spend a great deal of time standing or sitting have more risk of the disease.
- Venous insufficiency can be a factor in chronic leg cramping or restless leg syndrome.
- Varicose veins do not go away without treatment and usually progress over time. Symptoms and progression can be controlled with compression.
- Symptoms of Venous insufficiency result in an estimated two million lost workdays per year.
- Venous insufficiency can occur at almost any age.
At Alpha Vein Clinic in Las Vegas, our physician, Dr. Sassan Kaveh is highly experienced in diagnosing and treating leg pain and vein-related problems such as Venous insufficiency. Make an appointment today so we can not only help alleviate your vein pain but also treat your venous insufficiency for a better quality of life. Just imagine your days without leg pain getting in the way. Call the Alpha Vein Clinic at 702-430-7661 and let our caring staff schedule an appointment that fits your schedule.
Alpha Vein Clinic
3150 N. Tenaya Way Ste. 400
Las Vegas, NV, 89128
Dr. Sassan Kaveh
You Can Now Call Us 24/7